Gavita Pro Line (E-Series) 270w LEP Plasma Light
WHY CHOOSE A GAVITA 270e PLASMA LIGHT?
- Full spectrum supplemental grow lights
- Increases vegetative growth
- Improves quality of flowers/fruit
- Long lasting light source – over 30 000 hours
- Includes UVA and UVB stimulating essential oil production
- No IR heat radiation
- 3 year warranty!
- Plug and play
- Compatible with Gavita Master controller
High pressure sodium lights are ideal for their huge quantity of PAR available light they produce. However, on thing that they could improve on is the spectrum of light that they emit. The Gavita plasma light is designed to be a supplemental light that is run alongside your existing HPS grow light, to give your plants the benefit of a complete and full spectrum, as close to natural sunlight as is possible. Enhancing the narrow HPS spectrum with a plasma improves not only the vegetative growth habits of a plant, but also improves the quality of the flowers/fruit come harvest time.
The Gavita plasma is designed to be controlled with the Gavita master controller, alongside High-Pressure Sodium lights. This means that all your hydroponic grow lights can be controlled and manipulated from on easy to use controller – no more tinkering around with each ballast individually. They are perfectly suitable to be used as a sole light source during vegetative growth if necessary, although it’s best practice to always ensure they are a supplemental light, not the main light source.
Gavita are a huge name in the lighting industry. They supply growers around the world from huge commercial installations down to the hobby market. They have a wealth of expertise and experience that is evident in the quality of the products they make. They are arguably the greatest brand of indoor hydroponic grow lights that you will currently find anywhere on the market. With over 30 years of experience to draw on, you are in safe hands when you use Gavita lighting, and your plants will thank you for it!
WHAT IT IS
The Gavita Plasma lights are full spectrum supplemental lighting, perfect to use in conjunction with your existing High-Pressure Sodium lighting system. They offer a wide-ranging spectrum to complement the overall efficiency of your HPS lamps, creating a light for your plants that is as close to natural sunlight as possible - if not better! They are not as an intense light source as HPS, but have a much more beneficial spectrum and have a high density of light emitted, meaning they still maintain a decent penetration through a crop.
The Gavita Pro 270e full spectrum Plasma light is a complete fixture comprised of the driver(ballast), connected by a short co-axial cable to the light emitting puck and the reflector. It is an all in one complete unit ready to be taken out the box and hung straight above your plants. The plasma technology used in the Gavita fixtures is originally manufactured and developed by Luxim. The luxim plasma emitter is integrated smoothly into the rest of the fixture produced by Gavita.
The housing of the Gavita Plasma is a solid piece of extruded aluminium. It is very lightweight and has great properties for efficiently dealing with any heat generated from the ballast/driver itself. The housing comes complete with stainless steel fasteners and has six mounting points to make hanging the light up a piece of cake. The reflector is a high-grade aluminium reflector, with a glass cover that protects from excesive UV and also helps create a water tight seal to protect the electronics inside. The whole emitter has a wire mesh EMI shield, like a farady cage surrounding it to ensure it does not create any unwanted EM interference.
The fixtures are designed to work directly in conjunction with the Gavita Master Controller, and Gavita HPS lighting. This means you are able to completely control every light in your room from just one small and easy to use controller.
HOW IT WORKS
So how does a plasma work? If you look at the actual light source, you can quickly see that it is completely different to traditional HPS technology. A small arc tube is at the centre of the reflector, behind which an emitter is situated, which is then in turn connected to the driver via a short co-axel cable. The emitter sends EM frequencies directly into the arc tube to excite the gases and generate the light.
Unlike a traditional HPS, there are no electrodes carrying an electrical current to the arc tube. Over time these electrodes will wear and the efficiency of them will drop over time. Therefore, unlike HPS, Gavita plasma lights do not have such a limited life span. The light is created in the plasma arc tube is a much broader spectrum than HPS due to the variety of gases and Metal Halides that are inside the small arc tube. As a relatively large amount of light is being produced from such a small area, the density of the light is quite significant, meaning a greater penetration through crops.
The broad spectrums of light created by the two versions of the Gavita plasmas, have very distinct and unique set of advantages for growing crops under. The full spectrum of light that they emit can benefit a plant in the following ways:
- Morphology – A more preferable shape of plant is seen. The broad range of light helps to increases shoot production in a vegetative plant. Generally you will tend to see a much stockier plant with many more shoot sites than using HPS alone. This makes the lights highly suitable for mother plants as it increases the potential number of cutting that can be taken at any time. It is also highly beneficial for helping to create a larger number of bud sites, during the early generative cycle.
- Quality of flowers - The UV light increases the production of terpenes, essential oils and flavonoids, so the quality of the end product is greatly enhanced. Essential oils are often produced by a plant to defend itself against many things, such as elevated levels of UV. Direct tests and anecdotal reports from growers all suggest that a much higher quality of essential oils are produced when growing plants under supplemental plasma lighting.
- Faster Rooting - Plants seem to root much faster under plasma lighting. The particular ratios of light produced by the plasma encourage extremely healthy growth in the rootzone. The ratio of one colour of light to another is something that is still being researched by scientists world-wide, different combination can have all sorts of varied results on plant growth. A healthy and efficient root system directly relates to the productivity and quality of end result.
- Stronger Plant – In a similar fashion to how the essential oils increase production to protect against UV, the actual surface of the plant does aswell. The strengthend cells in the plant mean it is harder for pathogens to attack make their way in and infect a plant. The more you can do to strengthen a plant, the better it will fend of attacks from diseases like botrytis (budrot)
All of these factors are a result of supplying your plant with a much greater quality of light than simply just HPS alone. Although HPS does of course work well on its own, you will be amazed at the visual difference in growth patterns and quality you will see as a result of combining them with a Gavita Plasma light. What may seem like a significant investment, being a high value product, return on investment will come within is two crop cycles with high value crops.
HOW TO USE
Gavita Plasma supplemental light fixtures are not really intended to be used as a standalone light, mainly down to the comparatively low output of photons per watt when compared to a High Pressure Sodium grow light. Due to this, you should always rely on HPS as the main source of light, but then add in the correct amount of plasma lights to ensure that your overall spectrum of light is ideal. The amount of LEP light required varies depending on the stage of plant growth at the time. See the following guidelines:
- Mother rooms - 1 LEP per 100w of HPS. This is a maximum recommended amount of LEP per HPS light. In this stage, try not to go over this recommendation.
- Vegetative – 1 LEP per 600w of HPS. This is the ideal sweet spot for supplemental plasma light during vegetative growth.
- Generative – 1 LEP per 1000w of HPS. This is the recommended minimum. Feel free to enhance the by adding more as necessary
Once you have the right amount of plasma lights for your room, you need to make sure that the fixtures are hung in the correct position to make sure the spread of light is as even as possible, across the entire growing area. Ultimately this depends on the size and shape of your grow room, as well as the total amount of lights that you have in there. It is different for every grow room so you will need to consider this point quite carefully. Please feel free to give us a ring in store to go through any finer details, we are happy to help.
Alternatively, if you are wanting to cultivate in a grow tent, the Mammoth range of grow tents are uniquely designed to work in harmony with Gavita Lights, their floorplan having been designed to perfectly match the light emitted from Gavita HPS fixtures. This removes the need to figure everything out yourself, as the Mammoth Tents and Gavita grow lights are designed to work perfectly with each other.
Gavita Plasma grow lights can either operate as standalone units, or they can be controlled in combination with the Gavita Master Controller, giving the potential to control up to 100 lights from one unit. This can all be powered from any 120v-240v connection point giving you minimal effort during installation. Alternatively, they can be used in conjunction with any compatible contact relay and timer system you may currently already be using. Of course, automating the entire process with the mater controller is always preferable, and it is a relatively inexpensive piece of kit considering what it can do for you!
TIPS ON USE
Always make sure that all connections are secure before turning the units on.
The best light source is always one that is as varied as possible! Using HPS in combination with the Gavita Plasma or even ceramic metal halides is an ideal way to ensure high PAR outputs and an extremely varied colour spectrum.
Always ensure that you are hanging these lights up to a secure fitting, they are quite heavy as a complete unit, so will need fairly heavy duty points from which to hang.